Living Out

How many bedrooms do you need?

A Guide to Living Out

Living out can be a daunting and costly business. If this is your first time living out, it can take a little time to find your feet and make sure that you've covered all of your financial and legal obligations as a tenant. This guide attempts to give you an overview of what to expect and how to enjoy your student life without having to worry too much about the details.


The city can be divided up into four popular areas, each unique in their own way. Make sure you choose the right one for you!

The Viaduct – known locally as the party zone because of its buzzing atmosphere the viaduct is within easy walking distance of the science site, library, DSU and the city centre.

New Inn Area – 5 minutes walk from the library, DSU and Science Sites, no wonder its known by tenants as the fall out of bed and into a lecture. Due to the location houses are limited and don’t stay on the market for long.

Elvet and The Bailey – located in the heart of the city centre and only five minutes walk from the Peninsula Colleges it’s one of the most sought after areas in town! 

Claypath and Gilesgate Bank – Close to Love Shack and Millennium Square (where all the nice bars and restaurants are) and on the door step for St Hild and St Bede this popular area offers great value for money.


Rent is charged monthly in advance. To get the monthly rent you need to multiply the weekly rent by 52 and then divide by 12. You pay this on the first of each month via standing order.


Deposits are paid when you sign your tenancy agreement by either cash or cheque. We use the Tenants Deposit Scheme to protect all of our tenants' deposits; there is an information leaflet in the Downloads section for you to have a look at. On average each year around 80% of our tenants get their deposits back in full. Where deductions are made it's generally for cleaning.


All of our quality Landlords are well experienced in offering student accommodation. All our Landlords have a team of contractors who are on hand to identify and resolve any problems there may be.

Repairs and Maintenance

All of our landlords use experienced contractors meaning that when a repair is reported we can instruct an engineer straight away, ensuring that any problems are dealt with quickly and efficiently. We hate to think that our tenants are suffering any kind of disruption or being inconvenienced in any way, so please be assured that all issues are dealt with as quickly as possible. As you will appreciate sometimes you will have to be patient as more complex issues can take a little bit longer to resolve!  To report any repairs to us please click on the ‘contact us’ link for further information/instructions.


We have landlords that offer rents inclusive of utilities and landlords where utilities are exclusive of the rent you pay:

If you chose to rent a property where Bills are included in the rent then this will be subject to a ‘fair usage policy’ -  this essentially means that a portion of your rent is set aside to pay for utilities; Gas, Electric and Water. If you go over your ‘fair usage policy’ set out in your tenancy agreement then your landlord can issue you a bill for the extra use. Don’t worry; this doesn’t mean you will automatically get a bill as the usage policy is based on an average and tenants very rarely go over it.

If you choose a property where bills are not included in the rent then this means that you pay your own utility accounts direct to the suppliers. We will set your Gas, Electricity and Water accounts up for you at the start of the tenancy and then it is up to you to manage them during the year. At the end of the tenancy we finalise your accounts and the suppliers will send you a final bill.

If you need any other information about bills then please just ask.

Safety Information

When renting a property you should always ask to see the Landlords Safety Certificates, these safety checks are legal requirements:

Landlords Gas Safety Certificate: Landlords are required to have the gas appliances installed within their properties tested annually by a suitably qualified engineer

Portable Appliance Testing Certificate: Landlords are required to have each portable appliance supplied (eg: washing machine, cooker) tested annually by a suitably qualified engineer

Mains Wiring Certificate: Landlords are required to have the fixed wiring to the property tested every 5 years by a suitably qualified engineer.

All of our safety certificates are available to tenants on request. ITS QUITE SIMPLE if the house doesn’t have them don’t rent it! 

Energy Performance Certificate

All properties rented after October 2008 must be let with an Energy Performance Certificate. You should be given sight of this certificate when you apply for the property.