Frequently Asked Questions

How many bedrooms do you need?

You've got questions, we've got some answers. Some of the questions we get asked, we get asked frequently by just about everyone. Below you'll find some answers to some of the most common questions we get asked. If your question isn't answered here, you can always contact us.

How do I reserve a house?

It’s simple:

  1. Make sure you view the house and that all members of the group are happy with it.
  2. All members of the group need to complete an application form.
  3. Once we have the completed application forms the property will be taken off the market and reserved for you!


What's the next step?

  1. Download a draft tenancy agreement from our downloads page.
  2. Get it checked by the DSU. 
  3. Make an appointment to sign your tenancy agreement as a group.


How do I pay my deposit?

 By either cash or cheque when you sign the tenancy agreement.  

Why do I have to pay a deposit?

Deposits are collected from all tenants to ensure that the property will be looked after while they are living there. We will thoroughly inspect properties at the beginning of a tenancy and an inventory will be completed. When it comes to moving out, the house will be inspected again. You can make it easy for us by ensuring the house is in the same condition as when the tenancy began (allowing for reasonable wear and tear), all utility bills are settled and all rent is paid.

Why do I need to have a guarantor?

A guarantor (usually a parent or guardian) agrees to pay your rent if you are unable to. Due to a student's age and employment status, we require a guarantor for all tenants. This is standard practice with student rental properties

How do I pay my rent?

 Rent is paid monthly in advance via a Standing Order – normally on the 1st of each month.  

What type of tenancy do you use?

We use an Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement – have a look in our downloads section for more information.  

What if I don't understand the content of the tenancy agreement?

We will provide a breakdown of some of the technical terms detailed within the Tenancy Agreement. (It’s available on our downloads page.) Alternatively if you want to call into the office then we can go through it in detail with you. The DSU also offer a service for checking tenancy agreements.  

What happens with inventories?

When you sign the tenancy agreement we will give you a draft inventory so you know what’s in the house when you move in. On the day you move in we will give you an updated version. You are to take this to the house, go through it, sign it and return it to us. We will use this document to check you out of the house the following year.

What happens with keys?

There are one set of keys per tenant. These can be picked up from our office any time after the start of your tenancy BUT please make sure you are aware of our office opening hours. If we are shut you won’t be able to collect you keys. You will need to sign for your set and to do this you will need to prove your identity so make sure that bring proof of ID with you.

What does the Landlord insure?

The landlord has insured the following:

  • Material damage to the building:  fire, lightning, flood and accidental damage (subject to some exclusions).
  • The landlord’s fittings and contents.
  • Exclusions apply when the property is unoccupied: please notify us if the house is going to be empty for 30 or more consecutive days.

What happens if something breaks or is faulty in the property?

We appreciate that sometimes things break and need to be repaired and we ask all tenants to inform us of any repairs, breakages or faults as soon as they are discovered. Reports are preferred by e-mail, so we have them in writing. However where necessary tenants can also report problems by phone, particularly in an emergency. 

When you may be charged

If a contractor is called out to a property and finds that the maintenance issue is as a result of tenant damage, you may be charged their fees. Also, if a contractor reports that an issue is down to user error alone, you may be charged for the contractors visit. It’s really important that you let us know if you need instructions on how to use any appliances / boilers / timers etc.  

What if I get locked out?

If you get locked out of your property during office hours and your flat mates are not around, we can arrange for one of our contractors or members of staff to let you in, however you may have to cover their costs.

Do you do property visits/inspections?

We carry out regular property visits, usually during holidays, to check the condition of our properties. We use these visits to pick up on any repair items that might not have been reported.